The Liberal Democrats launch their 2019 General Election Manifesto, outlining a clear plan to build a brighter future for people and the planet. The first step will be to stop Brexit and use a £50 billion Remain Bonus to invest in public services and tackling inequality.
The Liberal Democrats' ambitious plan for a brighter future, where every person, every community and our planet can thrive, includes:
- Stopping Brexit and investing the £50 billion Remain Bonus in public services and tackling inequalities.
- Tackling the climate emergency by generating 80% of our electricity from renewables by 2030
- Building a fairer economy, transforming opportunities by providing free childcare from 9 months and giving every adult £10,000 to spend on skills & training throughout their lives
- Giving every child the best start in life by recruiting 20,000 more teachers as part of an extra £10 billion a year for schools
- Transforming our mental health services by treating mental health with the same urgency as physical health.
- Adopting a public health approach to serious violence with investment in community policing and youth services.
- Fixing the broken immigration system by scrapping the Conservatives' hostile environment, ending indefinite detention and taking powers away from the Home Office.
The Liberal Democrats enter the election following their best-ever election results, with 700 seats gained in local elections, and more votes than both the Conservatives and Labour at the European Elections. Tens of thousands of people have joined the Liberal Democrats over the last few months, taking the Party's membership to the highest level on record.
Liberal Democrats candidate for South Dorset, Nick Ireland, said:
"The Liberal Democrats are the only party standing up to stop Brexit and build a brighter future for the people of Dorset. Brexit has taken far longer and cost far more than anyone said it would. But any form of Brexit will damage our jobs in Dorset, our economy and our local public services, starving them of vital cash as the economy struggles along."
"The Liberal Democrats have committed to raising the energy efficiency standards for new homes alongside investing £15 billion over the next Parliament to retrofit 26 million homes. This would save the average household £550 a year on energy bills. The party has also announced a Liberal Democrat government would prioritise accelerating the deployment of renewable power generation, including a new target of doubling solar and wind power by 2030."
Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Jo Swinson, said:
“This manifesto is a bold plan to build a brighter future for our country, and that starts with stopping Brexit.
“Labour and the Conservatives can’t offer the country a brighter future because they both want Brexit. We know that will be bad for our economy, bad for our NHS and bad for our environment.
“Liberal Democrats will stop Brexit and invest in our mental health services, give free childcare to working parents, put 20,000 more teachers into classrooms and take ambitious action to tackle the climate emergency.
“Our politics has been dominated by the two, tired old parties for too long. This election provides an opportunity to change the future of our country and build a brighter future with the Liberal Democrats.”
Click here for the full manifesto.