The Liberal Democrats are campaigning for:
- More affordable and social housing avoiding
- large scale development on green belt land
- more appropriate housing should be built including mews
- style developments for first time buyers. Limits
- placed on second home ownership and more empty
- homes to be brought back into use.
Liberal Democrats think that a house is a HOME not a financial asset. We want young people to settle and raise their families in locally but recognise how difficult that is with lack of social and affordable housing in the area. If elected we pledge that we will:
- Prioritise getting empty properties back into use, and encourage housing co-operatives to provide housing for rent.
- Work with and encourage the growth of community land trusts.
- Insist that private sector developments have 35% affordable housing and that the local community should determine the proportion of those houses that can be purchased as second/holiday homes.
- Allow money from “Right to Buy” sales to build replacement social housing.